Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about European Privet at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
European Privet, Common Privet
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Nava Tabak, Invasive Plant Atlas of New England, Bugwood.org bug_5078032
Leaves elliptic-lanceolate to elliptic-ovate, apex obtuse to acute, per Weakley's Flora (2012).
Robert Vidéki, Doronicum Kft., Bugwood.org bug_5396159
Month Unknown Hungary
Flowers of a heavy objectionable odor, in dense terminal 1-3" panicles, per Manual of Woody Landscape Plants (Dirr, 1975+).
Robert Vidéki, Doronicum Kft., Bugwood.org bug_5397687
Month Unknown Hungary
Fruit a lustrous black 1/3" berry-like drupe which persists thru March+, per Manual of Woody Landscape Plants (Dirr, 1975+).
Habitat: Disturbed places, per Weakley's Flora
Non-native: Europe & northern Africa
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant is causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Kentucky Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2013
- SC Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2014
- SC Native Plant Society
- Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2009
- US Fish & Wildlife Service
- US Forest Service Southern Research Station
Opposite, or rarely alternate
Synsepalous calyx, lobes obsolete or almost obsolete
4-lobed funnelform corolla
Inflorescence a many-flowered terminal panicle
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Invasive Plants, Guide to Identification, Impacts and Control (Kaufman & Kaufman, 2007) p086
- A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests (Miller, Chambliss, & Lowenstein, 2010) p034
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p164
- Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988) p097
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p192
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".