Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Caryophyllales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Dwarf Sundew at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 092-01-002:
Drosera leucantha FAMILY Droseraceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Dwarf Sundew, Early Sundew
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm060423_112
April Berkeley-Charleston Counties SC
Francis Marion National Forest
Leaves obovate to spatulate, cuneate, 7-16mm long including indistinct petiole, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_d_brevifolia_dwarf_7
The flowering scape of D. brevifolia has gland-tipped hairs, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006).
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Coastal Plain (rare elsewhere)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
White or tinged w Pink
5 persistent sepals
5 persistent petals
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p081
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p260
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p359
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p141
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p176
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p022
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p165
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p071
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p094
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p177
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".