Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Solanales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
INCLUDED WITHIN VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 158-06-004?:
Calystegia spithamaea FAMILY Convolvulaceae
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Low Bindweed, Upright Bindweed
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Dry limestone areas, per Weakley's Flora
Native north of the Carolinas & Georgia
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
White (rarely pink)
5-merous or rarely 4-merous
Shallowly 5-lobed (or merely wavy-edged) campanulate to funnelform corolla
Flowers solitary (rarely 2-4) in lower leaf axils only
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Field Guide to the Rare Plants of Georgia (Chafin, 2007) p075
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p072?
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: Northeastern US (Clemants & Gracie, 2006) p270?
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p199?
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p236?
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p130?
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".